GEM

GEM
Gail Mebane - Educationalist @Large

Saturday, June 4, 2011

BP2_UJAM



I jam, you jam, we all can jam with UJAM.  UJAM is a great resource for teachers who want to incorporate music into their lessons or the media that they create for instruction.  It is a cloud-based application that allows even the most musically challenged person, like myself, to get busy producing fabulous musical scores.   To get started, simply go to http://www.ujam.com/, sign up on the site, listen to the intro and follow the tutorial to be on your way to becoming a recording artist.  Here is how I created my first song:  First, I signed up for the app through my Facebook account.  Then, on the main page, I chose sing a song.   

Next, I imagined I was in the shower to spark the creativity flowing and thought up some words for my song, just off the top of my head.  At the screen that came up next, I chose record and started singing.  I don’t think that I’m a great singer but with the help I got from this program . . . hmm, the results were . . . well, I’ll let you decide.  Check out my recording below: 




When I chose this application as the first Web2.0 tool to review, I had in mind the possibilities of creating custom music for my videos and presentations.  However, after thinking about it for a while, I realized it could be applied in many other ways as well.  My students could create songs by writing individually or collaboratively in groups.  Then, they could record their songs and share them with each other and the class.  The songs could be made to revolve around a theme, a lesson or an activity.  Original songs could be used as mnemonic devices for memorizing formulas, phrases, vocabulary, grammar or anything that needs to be anchored in the long-term memory.  Using music is a fantastic way to incorporate multiple intelligences and learning styles in teaching.  It is also a great way to motivate students.  I had a lot of fun with this activity and I know that I will use UJAM in my classroom.  I hope you will give a try also.  

1 comment:

  1. Gail, I like your idea of your students being able to use this to create songs by writing individually or collaboratively in groups. I want to try layered curriculum in my class room and I needed to find something that involved music. Layered curriculum involves the multiple intelligences and this would be a great tool to use for the music part. Great in finding it describing what it does. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete