GEM

GEM
Gail Mebane - Educationalist @Large

Monday, January 9, 2012

MAC Wk 1-4: Leadership Project Post -- BRILLIANT ROLE MODELS


Image from: Morgue File: http://morguefile.com/archive/display/692972


"I studied the lives of great men and famous women, and I found that the men and women who got to the top were those who did the jobs they had in hand, with everything they had of energy and enthusiasm and hard work."

Harry S. Truman
(1884-1972, American President (33rd))


Three people I have chosen as role models are Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates and Michael Jackson.  In my opinion, these three people have a lot in common in that they are mavericks in their fields.  They did what others only dream of doing and they captured the hearts and minds of the masses throughout their journeys.  I am attracted to them because of how they capitalized on and maximized their personal abilities to make their mark on generations of people.  By doing what they each could do best, they each have contributed greatly to humanity and thus they have been elevated in the social, historical record as icons of human culture.

I view Oprah’s leadership style as a bold and confident.  She wields hefty influence throughout the media genres she has mastered.  As a communicator and businesswoman, Oprah has excelled beyond most of her peers and she continues to blaze new trails with her OWN network.   Bill Gates’ leadership style is visionary.  He was able to translate his ideas into precise, well-timed actions that propelled his company to success by outpacing the competition and he continues to dominate the technology field as the leader of Microsoft. His market insight and business savvy are to be admired.  Though Michael Jackson may have been troubled by personal problems and he had many faults, as we all do, he was an awesome entertainer who lived his life on his own terms.   Many of his songs contain lyrics that are positive and inspirational.  His style and charisma were phenomenal.  He reached an international audience and he was love and admired by millions of people.  The success that these three individuals have achieved allowed them to become philanthropists who can make a difference in this world.  

In my opinion, being bold and confident requires courageous determination.  Everyone has dreams but bringing those dreams into focus in the waking world is a challenge.  That is the role of a visionary.  I want to embody that characteristic of a visionary and to be able to share my ideas in a way that motivates others to contribute and participate.   Style and charisma are natural, ingrained characteristics.   However, I believe that being dedicated to self-expression that is genuine and authentic is the basis of style.   Further, I believe that enthusiasm, determination and purpose are contagious and charismatic.   I want to utilize my personal talent, skill and training to achieve uncommon success, like the three role models I have mentioned.   I want my work to be my passion, so that every working day is full of enthusiasm for what I do.   In this respect, as I work toward my goals, success will come naturally as a product of the energy and synergy created and generated through my passion. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your insights into these very influential personalities. There is a real intermixing of values and strengths here. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete