GEM

GEM
Gail Mebane - Educationalist @Large

Saturday, January 28, 2012

MAC Wk 4-3: Classmate Comment 2

 

Derek Gualandri:

week 4 MAC reading of Art Of Possibilities 9-12

Chapter 9. Lighting a Spark. It’s not about us. It’s about them. What are you 
doing to pay-forward from your universe of possibility?

This Chapter reminds me about how you get what you want from people. I learned a long time ago, that in order to get what you want from say your boss is to make it seem like their idea! I like that fact that one should conduct business face-to face. I think when all parties are included and that the Spark of excitement is prevalent that all prevail. This chapter was pretty cool to view Zander's perspective on the universe of possibility. 

The statement about , "Certain things in life are done better in person."




When we believe and are excited about something others will be too.

Chapter 10. Being the Board: It's not them. It's not the circumstances. It's me. It's my choices. Now what do I do?

I enjoyed this chapter because it reminded me of a statement I once heard about life. " If it is going to be, it is up to ME!" I feel that we are in charge of our own destiny to a point. I think we control the string of our own puppet. We have to make "IT" happen.  When we are young, it is hard to see the BIG PICTURE.

WOW!!!!!! ZANDER is an Inspiration.

Can you say WOW. So many of us see ourselves as a pawn in a big game of chess.



The 1st part of THE PRACTICE









This is a great statement Zander makes. People should really think how true this is.

Zanders word are so true and inspiring.

Again, Zander is Brilliant. 

Chapter 11. Creating Frameworks for Possibility: How do I take this flash of insight and make it into daily thing? And how do I share this with others?

This  little blurb about Dr. Martin Luther King where dreaming can make a difference. This reminds me about the time I meet a boyhood hero. His Name was Ernie Banks, "Mr. Cub". I meet him at Mike Ditka's restaurant in Chicago. He was sitting down enjoying a glass of red wine. I went over to him to just ask him for his autograph, and as I asked Mr. Cub invited me to sit and talk for a while. We proceeded to talk for the next 3 hours about life, about baseball, and about lives accomplishments. One thing that is so vivid to me about that encounter was he signed this menu card THINK BIG Ernie Banks Mr. Cub. I never forgot about that encounter. I appreciated that Ernie invited me to chat with him. Years later, I thought to myself, What does it mean to THINK BIG? I then began to look up information online about what Ernie had to overcome to be a great baseball player and what scarifies he had to make to THINK BIG. If he had never DREAMED BIG he may never have become MR. CUB. I appreciate the little things that happen in life and the experiences we gain from those encounters. Awesome.


Actual autograph of Mr. Cub.

Chapter 12. Telling the WE Story: I told you it wasn't about you. Have you been able to tap into the power of combining your expertise and passions with someone equally gifted? Have you had the pleasure of lifting a teammate, student, stranger up enabling them to realize their dreams and exceed anything that you could have imagined?


As I read through the Telling of We story, a picture popped in my head about how this is so true and how it effects us as teachers and people. I thought about How Bad I am when I tell the students that they have to pass the end of the year courses test in order to pass Algebra. I Tell them that I have already passed Algebra all the way up to college Algebra 2 , and I don't have to pass it. I already graduated from High School.  I actual was a bit disappointed that day in them on how little effort they put forth and how disruptive and disappointed I am with the fact I cared more then they did about passing High School.  I drew a big red 45 on the board and placed a circle around it and said to them this is the average score on the midterm. Not a really good move. I decided that I was saying them them them instead of how can we work toward excellence. I was frustrated with the behavior of the students and reacted on an instance instead of on the Arts of Possibilities. I need to convey to my students that WE are all in this together and with US working toward the same goals We came reach them. Sometimes though I do not think They want to be part of We.

Another quick story about Lifting someone up. I had This Beautiful spirited Student whom was a senior in my math class. She had such troublesome high School career thus far until she meet me. I inspired her to be the best she could be and did not judge her for her negative past. I gave her a clean slate and told her that I believer in her and she could do well and graduate if she worked toward those goals. At graduation that cool Saturday in June, Amanda tracked me down and handed me a card and gave me a big hug and said Thanks. So, Later that Night as I drove home I opened the card and it read:

Dear Coach G, 
Thanks for Believing in me when no one else would. 


Sincerely 
Amanda

This was the first time I truly felt Like I had made a difference and Lifted someone up.


to be continued:

2 comments:

  1. Derek GualandriJan 28, 2012 11:43 AM
    I really enjoyed this Book Art of Possibilities. I think I am going to buy a dozen books and give to friends as gifts. Thanks Joe and The Zander.
    Reply
  2. GailJan 28, 2012 09:26 PM
    Derek, you have given a thorough examination of the chapters with great insight and references to important highlights. Thank you for sharing your experience of meeting your boyhood hero. It is really exciting to get a view into the life of another and learn how their experiences shaped their successes. I believe that reviewing the successful strategies of others can give us an edge when planning our own success. The encourage you received from Mr. Cub was wonderful. I particularly like the way you added your personal impressions, thoughts and applications for teaching to the chapter reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment